HEAD COUNSELOR JOB DESCRIPTION
- The Head Counselor reports directly to the Director.
- Active Christian faith and ability to support the theological doctrine & practices of the Episcopal Church
- Passion and ability to work well with youth and adolescents
- Comfortable with building Christian community through teaching, leading, and equipping others
- Passion and ability to facilitate harmonious relationships and interactions between staff and campers
- Ability to perform potentially strenuous physical activities (running, swimming, long days in summer weather, etc.)
- Ability to give and receive constructive criticism
- Creativity and problem solving skills in all types of high-stress and fast-paced situations
- Lead, assist, help, support, and mentor the Permanent Staff.
- Take a primary role in building Christian community among staff (serve as teacher & mentor).
- Be a role model and a moral leader to the Permanent Staff.
- Supervise and ensure Permanent Staff are following Camp Hardtner policies.
- Work in partnership with the Director to achieve goals of the camp program.
- Hold Permanent Staff accountable as well as support, inspire, and motivate staff to success.
- Support counselors with trouble in camper management (homesickness, bullying, etc.).
- Manage the behind-the-scenes logistics of staff.
- Create daily schedules and organize/coordinate the Permanent Staff, Camp Staff, and CITs.
- Facilitate healthy teamwork.
- Ensure that counselors are prepared to lead activities with campers.
- Approve schedules for quality control and schedule conflicts.
- Lead staff meetings throughout each session.
- Lead weekly devotions for Permanent Staff.
- Compile suggestions for improving the components of camp/Lead post-session review (PMR).
- Assist with CIT training.
- Mentor Counselor-In-Training participants, leading daily check-in.
- Be prepared to implement any additional work responsibilities that may be asked of you.
- Desired Specific Qualifications:
- At least 21 years of age
- 2 summers of proven success as a leader on Camp Hardtner’s Permanent Staff
- Must be able to become certified in First Aid & CPR (Camp will provide class)
- Must pass a drug screen
- Must complete online child abuse awareness & prevention prior to first day of work
It is possible to make arrangements for positions to be paid internships. After you submit your application, please speak with Daniel about this possibility.