The Rt. Rev. Jacob Owensby & The Rt. Rev. Morris Thompson Invite Congregations to Celebrate Camp Sunday: March 22, 2020
Susan Walpole, Summer Camping Committee Chair, and The Rev. André Bordelon, Hardtner Board of Trustees Chair, share letter about Camp Sunday with liturgical resources for church leaders.
Camp Sunday is our opportunity to intentionally invite members of our congregations into the life transforming experience of Jesus Christ through our summer camping ministry. It is our hope that as the spiritual leaders of our people, you will encourage families to participate in these incredible opportunities at Camp Hardtner.
The Rt. Rev. Jacob Owensby and The Rt. Rev. Morris Thompson have designated March 22, 2020 as Camp Sunday. On this day, please invite your people to give generously to benefit the Joe Bordelon Camp Scholarship Fund. As Fr. Joe has often said, “money should never be the reason a camper does not come to camp.” This fund was established to ensure that no child misses out on the amazing experiences of Christian community and God’s love found at camp.
In 2019, the scholarship fund enabled 38 campers to participate in this vibrant ministry through partial or full scholarships. That’s 38 campers who have been able to hear the word of Christ, walk the Way of Love, and feel God’s presence in their lives through Camp Hardtner. That’s an amazing gift.
We believe that the youth and adults from your congregation who can tell and show how God’s love has changed their lives through the experiences, lessons learned, and friendships formed at camp will be your best preachers. Consider inviting these people to preach on Camp Sunday.
Attached below are the collect, prayers of the people, and offering blessing for Camp Sunday, March 22, 2020. Feel free to use the provided bulletin text to promote Camp Sunday in your congregation, as well. You can incorporate camp songs into your worship service; invite campers, counselors, parents, and staff to share their testimony; and of course, wear camp T-shirts!
If you have questions about Camp Sunday or the Joe Bordelon Camp Scholarship Fund, you may contact Daniel Chapman, Director of Camp Hardtner at email@example.com.
We invite you to assist us in this important ministry and to celebrate the encounters with God that are had at camp.
Susan Walpole, Chair of the Summer Camping Committee
The Rev. André Bordelon, Chair of the Hardtner Board of Trustees
If your celebration of Camp Sunday includes open plate offerings for the Scholarship Fund, please tally them and make a check out from the parish to “Camp Hardtner” and put “Joe Bordelon Scholarship Fund” in the memo. Then send it to:
2393 Camp Hardtner Rd.
Pollock, LA 71467
Camp Sunday Resources:
- Suggested Text for Bulletin Inserts:
- Camp Sunday (March 22, 2020) is a day devoted to raising camper scholarship funds, sharing stories of faith formation and personal growth at summer camping programs, and inviting families and campers to sign up for Summer Camp sessions at Camp Hardtner. We anticipate nearly 50 campers each year relying on partial or full scholarships to attend our summer camping program. Together, our congregation can help children, youth, and families experience the beauty of creation, have fun with friends, and grow in faith, rooted in the transforming love of Christ.
- 2020 Camp Sunday Collect, Prayers of the People, Blessing of the Offering
- (save as Word Document or PDF)
- (save as Word Document or PDF)